Hej All Tour Players/Parents/Private Coaches:
I have compiled some notes about what I do and what is expected on tour according to standard ITF Advanced Coach Guidelines: PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY TO BE FULLY UP TO DATE ON RULES.
**OUR FIRST RULE IS THAT WE ALWAYS HAVE TO WORK WITH PLAYERS MINIMUM of ONE TIME WITHIN 8 WEEKS OF A TOUR. THIS MEANS THAT PROJECT MEMBERS MUST COMPLETE A WEEKEND CAMP OR SUMMER CAMP WITHIN 8 WEEKS OF THE SELECTED TOUR AND A NON-MEMBER MUST MAKE ARRANGEMENTS WITH ME TO WORK WITH YOU. WE WILL NOT BEND ON THIS RULE AS WE WILL NEED TO KNOW YOUR PLAYER IN ORDER TO WORK WITH HIM/HER.
These Concepts were Based on those by: The Australian Tennis Association, The USTA and over 40 years of touring expriences!
OUR METHODOLOGY FOR ALL CAMPS and TOURS!
- Understand the game of tennis and its strategical and tactical challenges
- Develop with the primary coach, comfortable and biomechanically effecient strokes with breathing and movement but no technique changes.
- Develop the ability of an individual style of play
- Develop the ability of solving problems independently
- Increase their tolerance to frustration
- Increase/maintain their level of self-esteem/confidence throught the achievments made
- Face and enjoy the sensation of challenge during competition
- Realise their capacity to build independence
- Learn via good demonstrations: players primarily learn through watching and imitating
- Come to each Tour with a LEARNING ATTITUDE and MIND-SET… Players must want to “try” other concepts too within reason! Otherwise… why go on tour?
PRACTICALLY SPEAKING THE OUR COACHES CAN FACILITATE THIS PROCESS BY DOING THE FOLLOWING:
- Use positive reinforcement (eg. stop the session when the player hits the ball correctly or makes the right decision rather than when the player misses the ball or makes the wrong decision)
- Emphasise performance rather than outcome
- REWARD EFFORT AND HARD WORK RATHER THAN TALENT
- Use guided discovery and effective questioning whenever appropriate
- Encourage buddy teaching where appropriate
- Build a team atmosphere where players are encouraged to help one another and help each other improve
- Build on strengths rather than highlighting weaknesses
- SET HIGH STANDARDS/QUALITY AND NEVER SETTLE FOR LESS!
Travelling with a team of players requires a vast array of skills on the part of the coach. In this job, the coach plays many roles:
3. PSYCOLOGIST / SURROGATE PARENT
4. HITTING PARTNER
5. ORGANISER (booking courts, practice etc)
6. FINANCIAL MANAGER (budgeting, keeping daily records of expenditure)
7. MEDICAL CONSULTANT
8. COMPLETING END OF TOUR REPORTS ON PLAYERS
9. TRAVEL AGENT
11. LEADER/DECISION MAKER
To help organize all of the above, it is important that certain guidelines are established for the coach to follow:
1. Prior to Departure
2. On the TOUR
3. After the TOUR
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE TEAM COACH:
PRIOR TO DEPARTURE:
Discussion/contact with players, players’ private coaches and parents if necessary
Contact the players coaches to determine game style, players temperament, pre-match preparation routine, whether or not the players is under medication and any other pertinent information that will assist Dave’s relationship with the player.
- At the start of the tour, conduct a team meeting to inform the players of the training schedule, team rules, disciplinary proceedures, the expectations and goals for the tour and any new information about the tournmaments etc
- Liaise with the tournament committee with regard to tournament meetings, times of draws, scheduling matches, order of play, practice court availablilty and possibilities for friendly matches
- Plan the training and pre-match preparation of the players, Respect certain individual routines that players feel comfortable with and try to avoid forcing players to change just for the tour.
- Set up and supervise practice sessions whenever possible and encourage players to practice independently based on court availabliliy
- Observe matches whenever possible and provide appropriate feedback. Use match charting for objective feedback.
- Discuss concerns expressed by any of the players, keeping in mind the overall team goals, Daily and weekly individual and team meetings will be done to maintain optimal communication between the coach and players.
- Take disciplinary action when necessary (see proceedures). Most of the discipline will be through small cash payments for lateness/ets… more serious situations look under proceedures
- Keep receipts for all bonefied expenses and complete expense records on a daily basis to maintain an up to date financial picture
- Communicate the players’ results to the responsible organisation at least twice per week. Including blogs and information to private coaches and federations
- Encourage and train players to take some initiative and look after aspects of their training and match preparation themselves. In order to foster this independence and so build the players’ self-confidence Dave will insist that the players take responsibility for the following tasks:
- A word about Coaches: Many times after the days work we get together over a beer or two to talk, catch up and network. In 14 years and over 190 tours, there has never been a problem with alcohol (beer/wine) consumption /abuse on the tours and never been a problem relating to this as we have RULES to follow. Our first guideline is that of the SWEDISH DRIVING RULES which allow for a mellan öl (medium beer) one an hour..The LIMIT for any coach after practice in SAFE AREAS OF THE WORLD is TWO medium beers or two glasses of wine…strong liquor is never permitted at any time! All over the world on tour, most coaches do get together for a beer after work is done… so this is not extraordinary. We do NOT have alcohol in any questionable countries as these countries safe but we must beware at all times. These are EuroElite’s rules and will be adhered to on all tours!
OBS! IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INTL TOUR PLAYERS!
THERE ARE TIMES WHEN OUR INTERNATIONAL COACH HAS PLAYERS IN BOTH QUALIFYING AND MAIN DRAW AND HAS TO CHANGE COUNTRIES IN ORDER TO COMPLETE A TOUR. INT’L TOURS ARE NORMALLY 2-3 IN A ROW AND THUS IT HAPPENS THAT SOME PLAYERS MAY STILL BE CONTINUING IN THE MAIN DRAW IN ONE COUNTRY YET OTHER PLAYERS MUST SIGN IN FOR THE QUALIFYING IN THE NEXT EVENT. ¨
HERE ARE OUR GUIDELINES WHICH WE WILL FOLLOW AND IN ATTENDING A EUROELITE TOUR, YOU WILL ACCEPT:
1.) The Main EuroElite Coach will always follow the QUALIFIERS to the NEW COUNTRY. We will never send players to a new venue without our EuroElite coach.
2.) Main draw players will have already been at the venue they are at for some time and thus comfortable with the venue and situation which allowed them to continue winning their matches in the main. As we teach INDEPENDENCE, we have had decades of success with leaving the Main Draw players on site whilst the main EE coach follows qualifiers and players are reminded of this fact early on during the tour
3.) The MAIN DRAW PLAYERS who would continue their tour/matches without the main EE coach present who must leave to follow qualifiers will be INTRODUCED TO THE NEW COACH/OFFICIAL IN CHARGE of their care during their Main Draw matches and through to their flight to the next site.
4.) DOUBLES: Euroelite may or may NOT allow doubles on a tour and we will let all know this… HOWEVER WE WILL DO NOTHING TO ASSIST YOU WITH ANYTHING DOUBLES ORIENTED AS WE FEEL THIS IS SOMETHING PLAYERS SHOULD DO ON THEIR OWN.
* Help find a partner? (we will not help)
* Watch the match? (we will not watch)
* Transport: we will be sure you know how to get there but we will not go with you (players have to do this on their own)
EuroElite has an extensive NETWORK OF COACHES and OFFICIALS who WORK TOGETHER TO HELP EACH OTHER IN THESE SITUATIONS AND THIS HAS WORKED FOR DECADES!!
Therefore, when you sign up for our tours, you know that we will be with our Qualifiers in a new country/environment if we have to change countries whilst the Main Draw players continue to compete in the country of origin where they already know the “lay fo the land”. Again, normally NATIONAL COACHES from other countries will be looking out for our players and our team will know this well in advance.
PLAYER RESPONSIBILITIES ARE BELOW! read this please….
- SIGNING IN FOR SINGLES AND DOUBLES AT THE APPROPRIATE TIME/ FINDING A DOUBLES PARTNER AND TAKING FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE DOUBLES SIDE OF THE TOURNAMENT LIKE TRANSPORT TO AND FROM THE MATCH, PREPARATION, ETC / LOOKING AFTER THEIR EQUIPMENT NEEDS INCLUDING STRINGING, GRIPS, WATER, ICE, SHOES ETC/ ENSURING THAT THEY HAVE ENOUGH SPENDING MONEY FOR THE DAY AS WELL AS FRUIT, SNACKS, AND DRINGS FOR THE MATCHES/ ANY OTHER AREAS THAT DAVE FEELS THE PLAYERS SHOULD ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY.
* However, whilst fostering and encouraging these responsibilities, Dave will not abdicate responsibility and will make it clear that he is available to help the players in these areas if necessary. Again, doubles will also be the total and complete responsibility of the player.
- Confirm airline reservations 72 hours prior to return or change tickets to earlier departure
- Acquire information from the tournament referee as to the status of lucky looser spots. There are usually available to players who have reached the last round of qualifying.
- Parents are to have all insurance set for tours and camps! We take all reasonable precaution for safety and have doctors and dentists on call for emergencies. As far as insurance for injury, parents are to have international insurance whenever we travel or on a tennis camp.
- Parents are to be sure on LONG DISTANCE TOURS (past Europe) that their player has a valid and working credit or debit card. This is important to learn how to pay for their items like hotels, some food, tours etc. The beginning of responsibility starts here!
- Parents are to be sure the player has a mobil phone that will work in the countries we are playing in. This is done through contacting your provider
AFTER THE TOUR
Dave will give each player a personal verbal evaluation. The player is welcomed to write this information down if they care to share this with their team at home. Within 7 days after the tour, parents or coaches or both may phone Dave between the hours of 08:30-12:30 to get a personal verbal evaluation about their players performances and where they need to improve. I look forward to these calls to share with a players team how it went on the tour!
Furthermore, players are expected to drop Dave or the Coach in Charge, an e-mail with a thank you as well as outlining things they learned and areas they might need to improve on. When that is received, Dave or the in-charge coach, will write back giving the same effort as the player has put into this mail.
- Players and Dave will sit down to go over agreed upon measures for ALL DISCIPLINE SITUATIONS. The most common being lateness.. which a reasonable and sensible financial penalty will be imposed and this money goes towards tours for the group or to the captain of the day or to handle other costs related to the tour. Sometimes this will go towards deserts and other “treats” when appropriate or to hire Fitness Coaches for the group so they see someone different during the tour. This money is NOT KEPT BY OUR COACHES! We also give players opportunities to get their money back when they do good things.
- Inadequate performance levels, Failure to complete a matches, poor behaviour on or off the court directed at coach, disruptive team behaviour, abuse of tournament officials or other players will have more serious ramifications with the possibility of the player being sent home at their own expense. In this case, the parents and private coaches will be involved in this final decision.
PLAYERS WILL ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR:
- Laundry for their clothes on tour. I will instruct all where to go but you must do your laundry in a timely manner
- Home work time
- Being sure your racquets are strung the correct tension and you have fresh strings! You should have at least THREE RACKETS for the tour.
- Skipping rope and any extra physical programs you will be bringing with you from your home coaches in writing. You will be expected to keep Dave’s base physical program coupled with your own.
- Correct and proper tennis attire whilst playing matches.I expect collared shirts or the equivelant while playing matches. If you go on court without this, then you will be expected to purchase shirts.
- Know the ITF and Tennis Europe guidelines and rules. Go to www.itftennis.com and www.tennis europe.org to get basic knowledge of guidelines
- Know on court conduct rules as well as your rights on the court. Also, if you need medical assistance whilst in the middle of the match…. you should know the guidelines.
- Dave will be setting diet guidelines… please follow them. There are there for a reason!
- Valid Passport that will not expire within 6 months of the end of the tour.
- Have all medications etc with you along with your medical release and consent form
- Hand luggage: be sure you have an extra set of tennis clothes with you on the flight in case the airlines loose your luggage! WEAR YOUR TENNIS SHOES DURING THE TRIP TO OUR TOUR!
- Be aware of the ITF rules regarding BRAND ADVERTS on your clothes!! They are VERY STRICT WITH THIS as well as being STRICT IN REGARDS TO YOU AND YOUR DOUBLES PARTNERS WEARING SAME COLORS!
- DOUBLES IS ON YOUR OWN EVEN IF WE ALLOW THIS WE WILL NOT WATCH OR HELP YOU FIND A PARTNER. IF YOU MISS THE START TIME, THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM AS WE FEEL DOUBLES IS A CHANCE TO EVERYTHING ON YOUR OWN AND DEVELOP SOME INDEPENDENCE!
- Dave can keep your extra cash and will have passports. These will be locked in the safe.
- GOING TO A HOT COUNTRY?? BE SURE YOU HAVE ABOUT 100 SMALL PLASTIC SANDWICH BAGS FOR ICE AS WE USE THIS TO COOL DOWN DURING MATCHES. ALSO, REHYDRATION POWDER YOU NEED TO PURCHASE AND BRING WITH YOU AS YOU LOOSE MORE THAN JUST WATER WHEN YOU SWEAT ALOT!
- On tours within Sweden/Denmark, EuroElite reserves the right to coach only until the final singles player is eliminated from the event meaning we will not stay for doubles. Players will be told which events are affected but also, may hire the EE coach for extra days at their cost.
- Finances: Our on-site coach collects money many times for hotels, food bills if paid with our Credit Card, tours etc. IT IS THE PLAYERS RESPONSIBILITY TO SEE EACH AND EVERY RECEIPT for money they put out and to write this down in their Journal. We are TOTALLY TRANSPARENT in our dealings with money matters and if you need receipts for your sponsors or parents, this must be asked for before check-out or leaving the tour.
- Mandatory MATCH PLAY SHIRTS/SHORTS. You will not be allowed to wear T-SHIRTS for any match
- BRING STRING/ GRIPS / NEW SHOE STRINGS / ALL OTHER ITEMS YOU MAY REQUIRE FOR YOUR RACKETS
- Bring all MEDICATION, ENERGY DRINKS or MIXES. You need PLASTER, HEADACHE PILLS, NEW SKIN for BLISTERS, and any other medical bandages for sprains etc that may occure on the tour. DO NOT ASSUME DAVE HAS THESE THINGS!
- Sun cream if outside / mosquito spray / any other type of skin protection
- TWO WATER BOTTLES: one for water (at least 1.5 liters) and the other for energy drinks
- SKIPPING ROPE IS MANDATORY! also BRING GUMMI BANDS IF YOU NEED THEM FOR WARM UP
- JOGGING SHOES / TENNIS SHOES / WALKING SHOES
- YOUR BAG WILL BE CLEAN AND ORDERLY BEFORE YOU COME ON TOUR! I do not want to see trash in the bags or unorganized bags… this shows lack of discipline!
- TOWELS for WASHING / TOWELS for MATCHES so you have something to go back to.
- BRING FRESH STRINGS IN ALL YOUR RACKETS.. you never know what the stringer is like at your event or even if they will be able to string on time!
- MOBIL PHONES with LOADER.
- NOTEBOOK and PEN FOR THEORY CLASSES as well as to make GAME PLANS and NOTES ABOUT YOUR OPPONENT. YOU WILL ALSO BE EXPECTED TO KEEP A JOURNAL OF MONEY YOU HAVE SPENT.
- ALWAYS BRING NEW BALLS FOR EXTRA HITTING. ON TRAINING CAMP TOURS, YOU ARE EXPECTED TO HAVE 3 CANS OF NEW BALLS,,,,ON THE ITF/TE TOURS, ONE CAN OF NEW BALLS ARE REQUIRED.
- Bring your PASSPORT with you on ALL TOURS. Be sure that the EXPIRE DATE is no less than 6 MONTHS after the entry into the visiting country.
- HAVE YOUR MEDICAL RELEASE SENT TO DAVE OR HAVE IT WITH YOU!! Bring special MEDICATION with you for stomach problems, headaches, plus extra plaster etc for other situations.
- 100 small plastic sandwich bags for ICE!
TO PARENTS: RE- COMMUNICATIONS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND PROBLEMS
- I am doing this tours because I enjoy working with the players… this does not include having to deal with the parents(nothing personal:-) during the tour. If a group of parents would like to hire me to understand what I am doing and to get some hints on what to do with your player… I charge 300euros per day plus expenses. CALL ME IF INTERESTED… I would love to work with you and enlighten you to the world of coaching tennis and managing your players!
- As such… you expect me to do my job and trust me to care for your player…. I in turn expect you to do the following if i have accepted your player to join my tour:
- DO NOT CALL OR CONTACT ME or MY STAFF BY E-MAIL, SMS OR MOBIL FOR ANY REASON WITH THE EXCEPTION OF AN EXTREME FAMILY EMERGENCY AT HOME!
- IF THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR PLAYER WHILST ON TOUR… WE AM TO KNOW FIRST THROUGH THE PLAYER… NOT SECOND THROUGH YOU OR A COACH… SO YOU NEED TO INSTRUCT YOUR PLAYER TO TALK TO ME OR MY STAFF DIRECTLY BEFORE ANY ACTION IS TAKEN OUTSIDE MY KNOWLEDGE. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN YOUR PLAYER NOT BEING INVITED BACK FOR MORE TOURS/CAMPS.
- IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ME OR MY STAFF DURING THE TOUR… SAVE IT FOR AFTER THE TOUR AND PLACE YOUR CONCERNS IN WRITING. WE WILL NOT ACCEPT PHONE CALLS ABOUT ANY ISSUES YOU MIGHT HAVE WITH US, OUR PLANNING or WHILST I ON TOUR. IF YOU DO HAVE SOMETHING TO DISCUSS, THEN ALSO GIVE US THE COURTESY OF LETTING US KNOW BUT AFTER THE TOUR. SILENCE ABOUT A SITUATION YOU DON’T LIKE IS IMMATURE AND DOES NOT HELP US GET BETTER IN DOING OUR JOBS! KIND AND CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISISM IS SO IMPORTANT SO THAT WE CAN GET BETTER AS ALL OF US… COACHES, PARENTS AND PLAYERS NEED A CHANCE TO CHANGE AND IMPROVE! BUT YOU SAVE THIS FOR AFTER THE TOUR.
- YOUR PLAYER IS TO CALL HOMEor SMS MAXIMUM ONE TIME PER DAY with the EXCEPTION OF PLAYERS 12years old AND YOUNGER WHO MAY CALL or SMS TWO TIMES PER DAY. IF HE OR SHE CANNOT DO THIS AND A PARENTS NEEDS TO CALL MORE…THEN HE IS NOT READY OR YOUR ARE NOT READY TO COME OUT ON TOUR WITH EUROELITE . IF YOU HAVE TO TALK TO YOUR PLAYER MORE THAN THAT, THEN YOU ARE NOT READY TO SEND HIM/HER AND THE PLAYER MAY BE SENT BACK TO YOU AT YOUR EXPENSE IF PARENTAL CONTACT IS PAST OUR GUIDELINES.
- GIVE YOUR PLAYER MORE THAT ENOUGH MONEY FOR ALL POSSIBLE SITUATIONS! I can keep the excess with me so that they have no stress in handling this money. No problemos!
- I HAVE A DISCIPLINE SYSTEM THAT HAS WORKED AND WILL BE KEPT IN PLACE. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I DEMAND RESPECT FOR ME, OTHER PLAYERS, COACHES, OFFICIALS AND ALL OTHERS WHILST ON MY TOURS. I HAVE A GOOD NAME AND REPUTATION THAT I HAVE BUILT UP OVER THE PAST DECADES AND PLAN TO PROTECT THIS GOOD NAME. IT HAS RESULTED IN RECEIVING ALOT OF WILD CARDS AND IT IS IMPERATIVE FOR FUTURE PLAYERS THAT ALL ACT IN ACCORDANCE WITH GOOD MANNERS. I HOPE PLAYERS LIKE ME AND WHAT I DO… IF THEY DON’T THAT IS ALSO OK.. BUT THEY WILL SHOW RESPECT AT ALL TIMES ON AND OFF THE COURT.
- Parents are at NO TIME ALLOWED ON TOURS! If you show up, you will be leaving with your player. My feeling is that if you are showing up, that you do not trust us, your player or yourselves for giving your child an opportunity to grow. You need to cut “the cord” sometime, even if your child is crying and home-sick… DO NOT GIVE IN!
- We must get to know your player before EuroElite Tours. It is therefore manditory that your player join a weekend camp or part of a summer camp or HPC in order for us to allow this participaton on one of our tours. Should a player sign up for any tour but not keep our requirement to visit a camp before said tour, then the tour will be cancelled for that player leaving them responsible for all costs except for tour fees which will be refunded. This again, is to ensure we know your player and can work with them in a tour setting. If you are in the Project, this means that you will have had to make a visit here 3 months before the tour. There are many opportunities to visit us. Talk to Dave for the best solution.
- Our Tours start from the players’ home. Therefore players are expected to make their way to our meeting point (when applicable) by train or bus. This creates independence. Parents are always welcome to pick their players up at the end of the tour to hug your little angel:-) This is a great way to give the players confidence!
- If you are not ready(parents) to do the above, please do NOT go on my tours! It will be embarassing for you and your player if you or a family member or friend shows up to an event without it being labled a “parent ok” event. We feel that when we work on the tour, it is us and the player and when a family member or friend shows up, it puts undue pressure and changes the dynamic of our proceedures and the player tends to suffer because of this. So… do not show up and do not send anyone else to show up by proxy. This will not have a happy ending.
We love working with Parents but also, we must have our own areas in which the other does not encoach upon. I respect you parents as the final decision maker and if there is an “issue” on tour or camp, I will generally call you for advice so that we agree on a particular action. This is a courtesy… not particularly a right on my tours. So, please understand that there have been very few problems these past 15 years and we plan to keep it this way with mutual trust and respect BUT I WILL NOT ALLOW MY TOURS TO BE MICRO-MANAGED BY ANYONE… THANKS FOR FOLLOWING THESE GUIDELINES!